USERS CURRENTLY ONLINE ON DISCORD

Become one of us today, click to join!

Wording change to /rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindchameleon

I just accidentally deleted a large section of my storage area with /clearprotections because I didn't realize 1) it would affect the whole chunk and 2) it would literally delete all the chests. It would be good to reword /rules to point these two things out.

Blarg.

_PandorasBox_

Sentinel
,/claimpot I believe is the command to get the stuff back, or something similar, a staff would know the actual command if I'm wrong. I don't think there's anything in the rules about clearprotections? Really it's just something you need to ask about

blindchameleon

Hi!

Third bullet point under "Rules for Towny" says:

"Town mayors can use /clearprotections to clear the chests of inactive players after 7 days. If a player leaves town but remains active on the server, the mayor may contact staff to clear those chests."

But based on the name of the command, I thought it would simply clear the protections on the chests, not delete them. And indeed, /claimplot does work, but only for the original owner of the chests. We share all the resources and set up our "vault" together, but he happened to place those chests.

It would be easy enough to add at the end there, "Note: This removes the chests and their contents for the entire chunk. The player who originally placed them can use /claimplot to reclaim all items removed in this way."

PInkFloyd

If it merely removed the protections the town mayor could steal all their items, which is already a problem with destroying old builds. And even if it wasn’t like that, why would staff change the name of the command or /rules just to help with wanting to keep old chests placed by your friends inside a town plot, which is very specific and no one else really complains about. Either of these options is too much work for too little payout.

blindchameleon

It's too much work to add a sentence clarifying that an entire chunk will be affected (instead of a single chest, as I assumed) and that the items are completely removed but recoverable by the original chest owner? My point stands. The name of the command is ambiguous and the description is incomplete.

I don't understand the second point you're trying to make.

PInkFloyd

First of all, we would have to bother atlas for a request to change it because it’s naskel’s post, second of all if this was a problem then why does no one (besides you) complain about it on the server or on the forums? Not to mention what if the person had like 20 chests (happened to me) and you don’t wanna have to spam the command, also if the protection removed and the items were not they would be stolen or kept for 48 hours like build materials and it would mess up the system in general.

blindchameleon

One, if there's a new owner, I imagine they have admin rights on the forum.
Two, I only suggested a wording change and you keep framing it (rudely) like I'm bitching about something. I feel I've been courteous up to this point.
Three, I'm not saying they should change the command. That's irrelevant. I only suggested they clarify the wording.
Four, I don't understand what this has to do with you. I kindly ask that you stop replying to my thread.

Thank you.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:

alex_marie1324

I do think that if it did just remove the protections and unlock the chests that would be unfair. But also I think its reasonable to want clarification for what exactly the command does, and you requested it very politely.

ScottDaWebGuy

Hello!

To give you some further insight on the wording of this rule / command use, I want to focus on this quoted from the rules.

Town mayors can use /clearprotections to clear the chests of inactive players after 7 days”

For starters this rule is based off of the idea that the player has a town using the standard format of a town. The standard format is each resident has a single owned town plot that is within the 16x16 minecraft chunk. So this being said if and when a player goes inactive the mayor has the ability to remove or clear protections. Think of it as an eviction, from the towny plot(their home). The players belognings are removed, such as chests. Another thing to note is the wording says “clear the chests” it does not say will clear a chest.

This command is also intended for mayors to evict inactive players only. It is not intended to be used for personal use. Now in your case yes you may share the chests with your friend but your friend just gave you access thus meaning only he will have access to /claimplot to get his items back. This is why the command would not work for you.

Though the rule regarding the command most likely will not change. I will pass along your thought proccess of adding “They will be able to re-claim their items” after /clearprotections is performed. Obviously would be better worded then what I said. But I will pass it along.

Last thing to note. Your friend, everytime he joins will get yellow text stating he has items to claim with the command to use.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and posting a suggestion!

blindchameleon

Thanks for your reply, Scott. Definitely the context of clearing a 16x16 plot for evicting inactive players makes sense. Our town isn't set up that way (we all know each other in real life and are less formal), so it didn't occur to me. I'm sorry, but I haven't suggested a rule change. Only that the wording be tweaked for clarity. I honestly didn't expect this to be so controversial, but I'm going to unfollow this thread now.

The text I would recommend is:

"Town mayors can use /clearprotections to clear the all chests of inactive players within a given chunk after 7 days. If a player leaves town but remains active on the server, the mayor may contact staff to clear those chests. Items cleared in this way may be reclaimed by the player within [X] time using /plotclaim."

I don't expect it to be changed, but that's my two cents. Thanks again for getting back to me.

ScottDaWebGuy

Well don’t unfollow! How will you know if I respond :p Which I have.. Right now.

In any case I did pm you via discord. (I think at least) What I pm’ed you is what I passed on to staff, that should cover and give a good solution to what you are suggesting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.