Lumberjack Buff/Level 50/75 Ideas?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by eli_ayy, Aug 28, 2017.

1. eli_ayy

eli_ayy Staff
    Staff Member Helper

In my early days of CastiaMC, avorn89 (who I think has since left the server) offered me extra money if I kept his wood shop stocked. I stupidly switched from hunter to lumberjack, but by the time I realized how crappy of a payout there is, I was already level sixteen (far too far to turn back, in my opinion). I've since reached Lord and use the wood I break to fuel my builder job, but the lumberjack job still bothers me.

So, now that I've ranted, here is the point of my post: how could lumberjack be made better? (This is meant to be a discussion post).

Here are some points of interest:
    • I earn something like twelve times as much for using the same number of logs in builder as I break in lumberjack, and I'm only a level thirty-three builder.
    • What is this MCMMO bonus business for level twenty-five? Is that...useful?
    • Can we get a cool command for one of the level tiers? Miners get /nv and /fr, builders get /top, etc. I'm sure there must be something cool that could relate to lumberjack.
    • It's really hard for new players to level up lumberjack, because they don't have access to insta-break, or even good vanilla-enchanted, axes. The MCMMO skill that lets you do an entire tree is nice, but at beginning levels you can only break one or two trees, at most.
    Thanks for reading, and I'd love ideas on the post! Please reply if you have any.

2. japanimator

japanimator Well-Known Member
    Content Team

Just posting to link to a previous thread where some perks were discussed, in case you wanted to give input on some of the suggestions. :)

TawnyFrogmouth and someguy9880 like this.
  3. TawnyFrogmouth

Staff Member Mod

A few comments:
    The "number of blocks involved" is not a particularly useful metric when comparing job payouts---what matters is how frequently actions can be performed. It's easy to break many logs per second (using an efficiency 8+ axe anyway), whereas one can't feasibly place more than a few in that time. Thus, payout per log placed for builder should be a lot higher than payout per log placed at any given level.
    This perk gives a (small) bonus to the amount of McMMO woodcutting xp given when breaking a log. Leveling this skill in particular extends the duration of the tree feller ability.
    A long time ago I suggested perks for tool-based jobs to address exactly this disparity. For lumberjack, this perk would grant, e.g., efficiency +1 to any axe held at level 25, meaning that a player need only have an efficiency 7+ axe (rather than an efficiency 8+ axe, as it stands now) to insta-break at that level, and analogous stronger perks at higher levels. (This doesn't speed progress through levels 1-24, but these levels only take a very small amount of time compared to the total amount of time a typical regular player spends on their job.)

4. eli_ayy

eli_ayy Staff
    Staff Member Helper

I understood what the job bonus for 25 was, I just didn't think it was a great bonus for 25. Seeing as you can easily rank woodcutting MCMMO with votes, a bonus on it just doesn't seem that great to me, in comparison to autoreplant or /top or the other level 25 perks.

And that's an interesting idea with the tool-based bonuses.

(And I've since heard that content is working on some cool ideas for lumberjack.)

5. japanimator

japanimator Well-Known Member
    Content Team

Adding that last bit to the list of perk suggestions. ;)

TawnyFrogmouth likes this.