Hunter guide

Discussion in 'Job Guides & Tips' started by TheOrangeOrange, Mar 11, 2018.

1. TheOrangeOrange

TheOrangeOrange Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    As you all may know me for being an ex-player, using my knowledge of the job hunter, I shall have this guide. I would really have to thank my fellow friends for teaching me along the way.
    Table of contents:
    1. What to expect from hunter
    1.1. The good sides of hunter
    1.2. The not-so-good sides of hunter
    2. Tools and armor
    3. Levelling up, 1-25
    4. Levelling up, 25-75
    5. What not to do
    6. FAQ

1. What to expect from hunter
    Hunter is a very demanding job, requiring a lot of investment, and lots of risks.
    1.1. The good sides of hunter

• The one time payouts are very high.
      • At level 75, each ender dragon gives $17,305.76.
      • Not to mention the sweet rewards: an elytra redeem coin, a repair gem and a legendary essence.
    • The materials required and received are always in demand and always in supply.
      • An ender dragon requires 4 end crystals, which require 1 eye of ender, 1 ghast tear and 7 glass each.
      • Ghast tears are in high demand and supply, though quite expensive.
      • Legendary essences and repair gems sell for quite a bit, and are in high demand. This makes them of a considerable value.
    • It is a good way to spend time, bond with your friends.
      • This may be good or bad depending on your personality, but I personally enjoy chatting while hunting. This also enabled me to forge quite good friendship with my town mates and friends.
    1.2. The not-so-good side of hunter
    • Spawn rates
      • This server has relatively low spawn rates, so if you are not dedicated, hunter would be a very difficult for you to level
    • Investment
      • Let's assume that most of your time for hunter would be either spent hunting ghasts, wither skeletons, darkroom grinding or fighting bosses.
      • Each of these needs its own equipment. You would need a high smite, high sharpness, high looting, high power item respectively. Of course, armor is also necessary.
      • These items are highly expensive, ranging from 85k to 1 million each. You would need to be willing to dedicate these money to get the gear. I easily spent over 3 million dollars on gear and armor alone.
    2. Tools and armor
    You would try to get the following for the best hunter experience:
    Tools
    • Looting 6 item (Or a lacryhmal item for ghasts, or a chthonic item for wither skeletons)
    • High power bow (For ender dragon. A vanilla power 5 bow works too, but power 10 bow is faster. A guide to the ender dragon by Yuikonna is available here.
    • High sharpness and smite item.
      • As you would be grinding a lot, I would recommend you get them on the same sword, either by scrolling or the pre-generated enchants. Of course, if you like going in darkrooms, another good enchant to put would be Bane of arthropods, although having it at high levels is quite useless, I tend to go for Bane of arthropods 2. Fire aspect and knockback is nice too. Play around with the scrolls and see which suits you.
    • Lacryhmal bow
      • This is nice when farming ghasts, it helps a lot.
    • Cthonic bow/sword
      • This helps a lot when farming wither skeletons, it increases the chance of the wither skeleton skull dropping to 9.5%.
    Armor
    • High protection
      • As I believe protection only works up to a maximum of 20 (All protection on your armor added up), it would be pointless to go beyond 20
      • I tend to get other enchants with protection too, respiration, depth strider, fire protection etc.
      • It helps when going against the bosses or when swarmed by pigmen
    • High blast protection
      • I suggest high blast protection if you are farming ghasts or in a darkroom. You never know when ghasts or creepers might creep upon you and try to blow you up.
    • High feather falling
      • As the ender dragon loves to knock you up into the air, high feather falling can help save your life.
    • Elytra
      • I don't know how many times my life has been saved by the elytra, but if you don't have one, I suggest you get one (unless you are sovereign, of course :p)
    • Draconis armor piece
      • This would help against the ender dragon, as dragon's breath is REALLY irritating.
    • Acheron armer piece
      • This is not really useful, but might come in handy when farming wither skeletons or mass grinding withers.
    3. Levelling up 1-25
    So you have started your hunter career, and do not know how to level up? As tempting as it seems, do NOT go to a mob grinder. It gives no job experience and money at all, making it worthless. What you should do is grab a vanilla sword and go to a darkroom and farm. Alternatively, you could try your luck at a castian or legendary essence. When you have a good sword, you can now move on to ghast farming. You should start off with a looting 3 vanilla enchanted sword. When you get the ghast tears, either sell them or try your hand at fighting the ender dragon. With this newfound money, you can then invest in a looting 6 bow.
    You alternatively can also rise quickly through the levels by fighting the ender dragon. At lower levels, each ender dragon fight equates to a level up in hunter.

4. Levelling up 25-75
    Now, you got to level 25! Congratulations! You would now have a steady supply of income, either by fighting ender dragons, or by farming ghasts. When you get to the point where you earn more than 3k per ender dragon, you can try to buy ghast tears. However, be cautioned that this can easily put you out of money, so ensure you leave money in your personal bank, or you may come back to a rude shock :eek:. Wither skeletons skulls are quite expensive, around 10k each, so you might not want to buy them, though withers are much easier to kill.
    You should now do mainly 2 routine actions: Hunt ghasts/wither skeletons and fight bosses.
    5. What not to do
    I have seen people do these things and they aren't really efficient for grinding hunter. Try to avoid them!
    • Grinding at spawners.
      • Spawners give no job experience and money as compared to normal mobs, hence they are really pointless for grinding. (Refer to above.)
    • Making an enderman farm
      • If you realise, Enderman only give money and not experience due to them being easily exploited, hence making an Enderman farm for hunter experience grinding is pointless.
    • Spending short periods of time at a darkroom, or a ghast farm
      • Castia's mob spawn rates are really, really low, so I urge you to spend more time at a farm as a five minute hunting session would not gain you much.
      • Also, try to go at non-peak hours. It helps a lot with the spawn rates.
    • Kill stealing
      • As irritating as it seems, some people still do it. As I have been experienced this before, please DO NOT kill steal, especially in public mob farms.
    6. FAQ
    This would be updated. If you have any questions, feel free to ask down in the comment section.

Where to farm ghasts and wither skeletons?
    Generally speaking, you can make them yourself, or hunt them at a preexisting farm, which I believe most decent towns should have. As for public ones, I'll have a few listed down below.
    At classic
    • /t spawn Alliesplace
      • Alliesplace has a public ghast farm, so if you need some tears, it would be nice to check it out.
    • (If you know any public wither skeleton farms, please let me know down in the comment section.)
    At greek
    • /t spawn niyowither
      • Niyowither is a public wither skeleton farm over on greek, and is normally very vacant. However, there are many holes in it, so keep your eyes peeled.

Of course, if you have any suggestions or things to add, also say it down in the comment section.

Credits:
    Over at greek
    My teachers @BenjiiKuhn @TheHarem_King @DevoidMagic @ItzMjTheNerd
    My friends: @KayebiiKuhn @WinterStar2005 @Aislinstar
    Over at classic
    My teachers: @TawnyFrogmouth
    My friends: @PotatoQueenCoco

Regards,
    TheOrangeOrange

EDIT 1 (12/3): I realised I made a bit of typos, corrected them. I also added in places to hunt for ghasts and wither skeletons.
    EDIT 2 (19/4): Edited after newest update

#1 TheOrangeOrange, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Madeyemann

Madeyemann Well-Known Member
    Emperor

MadEyeMann
    Linked
    Great guide, very detailed, and accurate!

Hopefully the community benefits from it.

TheOrangeOrange likes this.
  3. KayebiiKuhn

KayebiiKuhn Well-Known Member
    Emperor

KayebiiKuhn
    Linked
    Great guide Orange!

4. Sybronze

Sybronze New Member

Great guide! But please take note that (last time I checked) /t spawn hub isn't public anymore, /t spawn alliesplace can be a great alternative for Ghast Farming though!

#4 Sybronze, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. KayebiiKuhn

KayebiiKuhn Well-Known Member
    Emperor

KayebiiKuhn
    Linked
    Yeh, i think it isn’t anymore on classic but is still up on greek. Not sure though!

6. Clarifity

Clarifity Member

Clarifity
    I'm not a Hunter but this looks helpful to all who are.

7. widewoods

widewoods Well-Known Member
    Legend

widewoods
    Linked
    Great guide, Orange! I have learned most things about hunter, but this would be a great guide to those just starting hunter. :)

8. TheOrangeOrange

Oh, thanks for informing me! I'll update it!

9. MarshMallow

MarshMallow Member
    Emperor

OG_MethodZ
    Linked
    Very detailed and informative guide, good job Orange!

If you'd rather make money selling ghast tears rather than farming the dragon, head to /market shop3 on Greek :p

(Sorry shameless advertising)

Sybronze and TheOrangeOrange like this.
  10. schottler3

schottler3 Active Member

(Sorry for the necropost)

Classic:

- I have constructed with the help of some very kind people a ghast farm of my own.

- I will be shortly creating a wither skeleton farm.

I plan to make both of these public :D. Please tell me in game or here if you would like to help :3. I need a lol 50 builder to make lifts too.

11. RedSeb321

RedSeb321 Staff
    Staff Member Helper

RedSeb321
    Linked
    I can make lifts for you.
    However, I will only be able yo come online ~15:45 CET tomorrow... ;)

12. schottler3

schottler3 Active Member

I will most likely not be online at that time. @RedSeb321 . I do so enjoy some sleep.

RedSeb321 likes this.
  13. TheOrangeOrange

:3 updated the post after newest update.