USERS CURRENTLY ONLINE ON DISCORD

Become one of us today, click to join!

Gender options on ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloxxanne

I would love to purchase the donor rank Emperor but I won't because as a girl I would prefer the option to choose Empress instead.

Same could go for ranks as well.

Baron and Baroness
Lord and Lady
Count and Countess
Duke and Duchess

It would be nice, please consider.
Thank you!

Bloxxanne

I actually did a search to see if it had been suggested before and it gave me nothing when I tried. So sorry for the repeated suggestion. But gender is talked about practically everyday in chat as it is. And it wouldn't be flaunting gender anymore than choosing a female/male skin in game. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be addressed as a particular gender, same rights are given to people who do not want to be gender identified.

At the very least put it up as a poll and majority wins.

Bloxxanne

I still don't see how this would do any good. I feel like idiots would find a way to complain about it. Easier just not to have it at all. It's a kid's game, you don't really need to flaunt your gender in it.
Not to say this is the only reason you said that but as a Male I don't believe you are speaking from experience. All ranks and i mean ALL are either Male or gender less. I think your opinion might be different if you were female.

ShadyRaptor

Champion
I also want to quickly bring up this article. While it is not related to the gender topic it does bring up some problems that could occur with the implementation of this change. Now I'm not 100% sure as I do not work on any of the development of plugins or the website but I feel like this could cause problems if we added the ability to toggle your ranks name. So I feel like this would create unnecessary work for the team where we could be investing it into events, new content, and bug fixes.

Of course, this would only really be a problem for those who use the forums but it's still something that needs to be considered if we wanted to go ahead with this change.

Anyways, in my opinion, I'm definitely not against this suggestion and I feel like it would be a welcomed addition/change but as of right now it isn't where the teams' priorities are. Maybe one day it will be added but as of right now I can't see it being added any time soon and if it was to be added it is more likely that we just change the rank names to something gender neutral.

_PandorasBox_

Sentinel
Not to say this is the only reason you said that but as a Male I don't believe you are speaking from experience. All ranks and i mean ALL are either Male or gender less. I think your opinion might be different if you were female.
What is says on my profile has no bearing on what I actually am, and has nothing to do with this. I'm not really sure where you've heard a bunch of talk about genders, because I rarely see it in the chat, and the few times I have seen it brought up, it never went on for long because someone gets angry or antsy and staff have to tell them to change the subject. Perhaps gender neutral terms would be better, but I still don't believe gendered terms would be a good idea. Like it was said above, it'd cause way more issues than it would fix, and currently there is nothing to fix about it. There are far bigger things that content and staff need to worry about right now, such as broken plugins and things not working as intended / crashing people upon use. Different gendered terms would mean more commands, more commands is more plugins if they don't have anything like it already, more plugins, well.. more bugs to deal with.

Bloxxanne

What is says on my profile has no bearing on what I actually am, and has nothing to do with this. I'm not really sure where you've heard a bunch of talk about genders, because I rarely see it in the chat, and the few times I have seen it brought up, it never went on for long because someone gets angry or antsy and staff have to tell them to change the subject. Perhaps gender neutral terms would be better, but I still don't believe gendered terms would be a good idea. Like it was said above, it'd cause way more issues than it would fix, and currently there is nothing to fix about it. There are far bigger things that content and staff need to worry about right now, such as broken plugins and things not working as intended / crashing people upon use. Different gendered terms would mean more commands, more commands is more plugins if they don't have anything like it already, more plugins, well.. more bugs to deal with.
It is already gendered Male though. I'm not asking to add gender to castia im asking to add gender equally.

ZroZlame

It is already gendered Male though. I'm not asking to add gender to castia im asking to add gender equally.
Well, Medieval times were a little different. In fact, there was no female variant of “Earl”, with many other rank titles like Sentinel, Legend an Champion being already gender neutral. Titles like Emperor being “masculine” are simply biding by the theme of the server, Medieval. If you don’t want those ranks, you don’t have to to buy them. Plus the fact that masculine terms are used colloquially to describe everyone; “man”, “dude” and “guys” being prime examples: “since the dawn of man”; “dude come on”; “come here guys”.

If they added this unnecessary plugin, scoundrels like myself would ruthlessly abuse it and switch between gendered pronouns for jest. Plus, if we took one step towards politics on Castia in such a manner it might spark heated discussions, isolate smaller “gender groups” who feel they are being left out and it would allow the aforementioned scoundrels to run riot in chat with simple tag misuse. “If it’s ain’t broke don’t fix it”, Castia has so much more to deal with than something so minute and inconsequential. There’s so little to gain compared to so much to lose, we already have a flurry of political nicknames ingame which often cause petty dialogues and I’m sure it’s soemthing we can all agree is best left avoided.

Wolfhound1

Staff Manager
Emperor
Personally, some of the female equivalents of medieval rank names seem rather... condescending, which is a product of medieval times being a far less equal time. "Lady" certainly doesn't carry the same authority as "Lord", for example, and I think this would cause some upset.

I also think creating two sets of gender ranks is problematic not just technically (as it would be a tedious and time consuming task), but it forces people to choose one or the other, and this would likely only exist on medieval (as Atlantis and demonic ranks are not necessarily 'gendered' titles) so I personally think it would be inconsistent to just have it on one towny server.

As others have said this has been suggested many times before and we've never implemented it, and I doubt we ever will implement gendered sets of ranks for just one server. Sorry.
It's just a rank name, after all, it's not as if it defines who players are.

TawnyFrogmouth

Emperor
This issue has come up repeatedly---many times in the forums, and intermittently in /g---in part because many players feel excluded by the existing rank labels. This reaction is pretty obviously understandable, as even in modern language many of the words used for rank labels are specific to one gender, in particular a gender that doesn't include perhaps half of the playerbase.

The server's leadership has repeatedly rejected the idea of adding female forms of names, and from their comments in this and previous threads on the topic this position seems unlikely to change. So, to resolve the real, longstanding problem of players feeling excluded by some existing rank titles,

I suggest that rank titles that are gender-specific in modern language just be replaced with ones that are not.​

(Or more precisely I reiterate this suggestion, since other players have suggested this idea 0many times over the past few years, and ShadyRaptor even mentioned the possibility in this thread.) In particular, implementing this would require much less time than (and would avoid the various technical issues raised by others and involved in) giving players the requested ability to toggle the form of gendered titles.

There is certainly no shortage of titles not gender-specific to the modern reader. Just by way of example, some possible renamings could include:

Baron -> Vassal
Lord -> Noble
Earl -> Patrician
Count -> Minister
Marquis -> Chancellor
Duke -> Governor

Emperor -> Luminary

Last edited:

ZroZlame

This issue has come up repeatedly---many times in the forums, and intermittently in /g---in part because many players feel excluded by the existing rank labels. This reaction is pretty obviously understandable, as even in modern language many of the words used for rank labels are specific to one gender, in particular a gender that doesn't include perhaps half of the playerbase.

The server's leadership has repeatedly rejected the idea of adding female forms of names, and from their comments in this and previous threads on the topic this position seems unlikely to change. So, to resolve the real, longstanding problem of players feeling excluded by some existing rank titles,

I suggest that the gender-specific rank titles just be replaced by ones titles are not gender-specific in modern language.​

(Or more precisely I reiterate this suggestion, since other players have suggested this idea 0many times over the past few years, and ShadyRaptor even mentioned the possibility in this thread.) In particular, implementing this would require much less time than (and would avoid the various technical issues raised by others and involved in) giving players the requested ability to toggle the form of gendered titles.

There is certainly no shortage of titles not gender-specific to the modern reader. Just by way of example, some possible renamings could include:

Baron -> Vassal
Lord -> Noble
Earl -> Patrician
Count -> Minister
Marquis -> Chancellor
Duke -> Governor

Emperor -> Luminary
God no, not Luminary. Refund me if this is ever the new name.

crayy_

God no, not Luminary. Refund me if this is ever the new name.
It doesn’t have to be Luminary. I’m sure Tawny is just providing alternatives. Rather than just shutting down an idea, provide an alternative.

Hero —> Chosen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.