Events

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MadMikael, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MadMikael

MadMikael Well-Known Member
    Emperor

MadMikael
    Linked
    So this just got posted

https://castiamc.com/threads/something-eggcellent-is-hatching-in-castia.10489/

Which makes it reasonable to assume there's an event coming.
    That's great and all, I know players will be happy.
    And more will show up out of the woodwork just for the event (at least one player already mentioned they're going to invite players who've been playing other servers).
    Wouldn't be surprised if there were a sale too... but I digress.

Thing is, I'm not overly huge on events, due to some of the types of people attracted.
    I'm not asking for events to be removed, but I am suggesting perhaps a future diversification.
    There can be events like the standard type I described above, typically scheduled around major holidays etc.
    But how about loyalty events?

Figure out what the average play time per player is (on the server). Make sure you total all 4 Castia servers per player (as some play more than one).
    Set the bar a bit lower than that... anyone over that playtime, can participate in a short "loyalty" event.
    Maybe you could do it slightly different, like say, those who log on at least 3 times a week or something...
    Whatever the quota is, perhaps change it each event, and don't announce it in advance.
    Basically, those who play regularly get rewarded just a little more than those who just show up for the main events, for being loyal to the server.

This thought occurred to me as I thought about my recent inactivity on Castia and how right it feels to me to participate. Meh, that's just me. But I do think that those who are on everyday to keep the server alive should be shown a little more, as most of them do help keep others on the server as well.

EDIT: the ultimate goal here isn't just to attract players, but to get them to stay.

_TheOrangeJuice_ likes this.
  2. SwaguSenpai

SwaguSenpai Staff
    Staff Member Helper

Couldn't you classify that as favoritism towards people who play more than those who play but not as much? I know people attempt to dedicate a lot of time in the server but the worrying part is those who do so but not enough, so they cant participate...

TwigTheDrinolf likes this.
  3. PInkFloyd

PInkFloyd Well-Known Member

I agree with swagu, imagine how mad madeye (no pun intended) would be if he was physically unable to get an item legitimately because he’s effectively quit, or if a dedicated and active player went on vacation, it sounds good at first but it won’t work for some people

4. MadMikael

Emperor

MadMikael
    Linked
    That's why I said this:

Set the bar below average, or do it on a "per week" basis, which would be more fair.
    My point is, that there are tons (TONS) of players who just show up for events to get the "goodies" - that's also known as greed. If those are the types of players you'd prefer to get rewarded every time.... I'd prefer that those who play regularly (and no, it doesn't have to be a ton of hours, or even every day) get rewards, where those who just show up 3 or 4 times a year do not. Finding the "happy middle" is the point that really needs the discussion.

You could mention voting rewards... as if you vote everyday, you do get rewards for that. Many of us have come up just shy of that end of month goal... it happens. But you don't even need to play to get those (just to claim them); I'm talking about rewarding those who are actually online and fighting the "dead server" talk. Honestly though, I'm not interested in the voting rewards (they're not very good anyway), and I'm not really interested in the event rewards. To me, the event itself is usually the reward... however, I always find myself enjoying it less from players there for the wrong reasons.

These type of events, if added, would only need be small... in the smallest/easiest form, a small booster like the one you get from voting. Perhaps a small collectible, or a kit. Whatever, nothing major or game-changing. When possible, a small activity to be done, for fun.

5. ShadyRaptor

ShadyRaptor Staff
    Content Team

ShadyRaptor
    Linked
    Firstly, restricting access to events isn't the purpose of events. They are there for everyone to enjoy, new, old, regular, and non-regular players alike. Everyone has the same opportunities to get the same rewards. Furthermore, denying the access of non-regulars or players who have just logged in may deter them from playing more than it will get them to play more. Personally, I would much rather stay on a server that allows me to instantly play this new shiny event from the get-go that everyone's talking about than having to wait until I've hit X amount of play time before I can participate with everyone else.

Secondly, regular players don't need a special reward for
    Their reward is earning more money, better castians and getting better rewards at events because they've put the time in to play the event than those who don't play regularly. I don't expect anything in return for playing the server regularly it's my choice where I decide to spend my time and I feel like if you are expecting to be rewarded for that then its more greedy than those who just log on for the event.

Finally, adding another thing on to the Content Teams schedule will take away time that could be better spent on developing main events or fixing bugs. The team is already stretched rather thin with the work we have to do and I would personally rather be working on things that benefit everyone than something that benefits a select amount of players.

PInkFloyd likes this.
  6. MadMikael

Emperor

MadMikael
    Linked
    I thank you for your reply.
    It was quite detailed, and it posed some good arguments.
    I hope you understand, my intent here was to increase the player count on an everyday basis, not just at select times of the year.
    Also note that I never intended for the main events to be restricted, just small bonus ones.
    I do have high hopes for the direction that the content team is going in (well I did, this thread was created before the announcement of the departure from the team), but up until then the team did seem to be growing again. Perhaps one day the team will reach a point where extras can be considered, and perhaps better ideas than this one can be implemented to achieve said intent.

However, I do hope that in the development of the events you describe, some things could eventually be addressed.
    That's not entirely true.
    I've known other players to bribe their friends by external means to participate in events, when those joining players had no intention of staying or playing regularly. I do realise it's a hope that they might, but in the cases I saw, they did not. The easiest example of this I can think of was the collector cakes from the anniversary last year.
    I've also heard rumours of some players using alts - I reported said rumours promptly to staff - and yet, it is another possibility.
    These types of players, among others, can get an advantage in main events.
    It is my hope that better ideas will come along to address things like this, but perhaps it's not considered a real issue.

Actually, that sounds precisely what I was trying to describe... so I think we do agree on some points anyway. My only point of differentiation was those that "only play regularly during events" and those that "play regularly every week or month".

Logging on at the slow times of the day, it just does not sit well when new players come on and do not care for the lack of players; typically as they can't buy or sell to others as much as they'd like to (i.e. chest shops are full/empty), or can't join a town. It's also no secret that some of our servers have less players than others, and to see the daily count rise on all servers is something I think most of us would like to see.

Well, that depends. It's all in what you expect to get out of it. Many who log on solely for main events are usually after items, not so much experiences. And those types tend to get under my skin.
    All I was hoping for was something to break up the monotony. Granted, some of this can be done by players as well, and perhaps I should reconsider my approach and try something myself (and perhaps encourage others). But I do worry that any mini-event that I held personally would fail to have a turnout, whereas one that is staff hosted will most likely attract more players. For example, the tree at spawn in December. Players could donate hdb heads, and many players did in fact show up. It was a fun little get together, with no actual reward to be greedy about. But I wonder how many would have turned up if a player did this in their town? Depends on the player, I suppose... I don't think myself so popular. Of course, an "event" like that, there's no reason to restrict anyone, and maybe more little random things like this might help increase regular playing.

Ah well.
    It is my hope that daily player counts rise. I hope if anyone has ideas on it, they'll share, as will I if I have another.