Absentee Idiot's Design Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Deya, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Deya

Deya New Member
    Champion

Deya_
    Linked
    Hi, introductions, whatever. Besides being a toxic bitch and leaving the server for months at a time over and over again, I also like game design, and specifically game system design. I've watched enough GDC talks and dragging video essays about vidya to sedate the average person about two dozen times over. I like this stuff, and care about this stuff. Arguably to a fault, but this bit is already overstaying its welcome, and I want to get on with it.

Me like games. Me know how game do gud. Time to talk about it.

Lumberjack

I'm going to be pretty clear. This job is fundamentally broken in its current form. Lumberjack's main issue stems from the fact that its resource has barely any ties to other skills, due to the relative uselessness of its major output (logs). Lumberjack right now is basically digger, but if the builder glass incentive didn't exist. And, well... I mean, glowstone is worth a bit of cash, but the dirt market isn't exactly blooming now. Or, you know, ever. There's really no reason to be a lumberjack other than hating efficiency or having the overwhelming urge to waste a job slot.

Alright jackass, it sucks. Got anything useful to say?

Yes, actually, bolded-text strawman I made up, I do. Here's a few ways to get lumberjack's outputs to be useful and actually relevant to the rest of the server's economy:

1: Add logs and planks to builder payout. Make planks give default pay, and let logs inhabit a tier between default payout and glass.

This is pretty common sense. Builder is stupidly restrictive with what actually gives you money (oh god why do I have to use quartz slabs to get paid god damn it please help me I am suffering), and this would be a good two-stoned-birds solution to help lumberjack be more relevant, while not interfering with the digger/builder dichotomy with sand and glass. It would increase demand for logs as a mid-tier alternative to glass, bolstering the market value of logs and increasing the viability of lumberjack. Worth mentioning is that it devalues stone, but miner already has the sister job of blacksmith, and that tie is strong enough to stand on its own, so I'm not as concerned with it as I am with maintaining sand/glass as the top tier, since digger has no other strong tie.

EDIT: Apparently builder payouts are only messed up on demonic. Still, needs fixing.
    2. Charcoal... something.

Very descriptive, I know. I'm not sure how this would be implemented as I haven't personally worked with the jobs spigot or the MCMMO plugin, but the idea would be as follows: Give level 50 woodcutting the ability to craft custom charcoal blocks. These would be a premier fuel source, and would either benefit doubly from the Fuel Efficiency MCMMO perk or just have twice the base burn time of coal blocks (160 vs 80). I'm not sure if either of these mechanics are possible, and besides that it might devalue coal too much and damage miner significantly, especially if this change is made in tandem with the previous one, which also has an (admittedly much more minor) negative impact on the job's marketable goods. There's also a good chance a baseline of 2.5 stacks and a maximum of 10 stacks of smelting is just too good and the fuel is so efficient that its own demand is curtailed by its overwhelming effectiveness. If I actually knew how to structure suggestions I would say at the top that my numbers and balance is mostly speculative, but I didn't know how to weave that into my cute narrative so that disclaimer is living here instead.
    3. Saplings could be used for... something? somewhere?

I'll be first to admit this is my weakest and least favorite idea out of the three. Saplings could fit somewhere into alchemist or cook as a custom recipe, but the current power level of cook foods means that it'd have to be disproportionately good to drive any sort of economic impact. A custom recipe could be made combining saplings and apples to form a "Nature's Blessing" that could be brewed into potions for some sort of effect. Like I said, I'm not too keen on this idea so my thinking on it is pretty half baked. Which segues well into...​

4. Something else! I'm not omnipotent!

The main point here is just for the outputs of the job to have some use beyond their current ones. I don't have the answer of what the right way is to go, I just think that it needs to be tied to other jobs more in some capacity. I'm not sure which capacity is best, but I've outlined the possibilities I see and their benefits and problems above.​

I wrote something here begging for builder payout to be fixed. Apparently it's only an issue on demonic. Still, pls fix.

Titles

Yeah, yeah, very meaningless and cosmetic stuff, I know. But, I do have some mechanical suggestions for a soft tier re-ordering, too, so pipe down and indulge my affinity for the cosmetic for a bit, thanks.​

Okay, whatchu got chief?

1. Gendered Titles

This is a relatively minor suggestion, and has been suggested before, too, but I think it'd be cool for titles like Marquis and Lord to have female equivalents that you could opt in to. Main issue is implementation, which could definitely be really spaghetti, especially if the rank plugin is proprietary. There's also clarity issues but the average age of this server is relatively high so I'm fairly certain it wouldn't cause too many problems. Additionally, for those whose gender lies betwixt on the spectrum, a "netrual" ungendered third option for them would be nice, and could even make for a better default than our current ones where gender is implied (like the aforementioned Lord).

Also doing this means sovereign could be changed to king and queen and that's dope as shit and I don't care what you say.
    2. MCMMO/Job Mastery Titles

Now this is where the fun begins!

The idea here is either upon reaching mcmmo skill level 2500 or alternatively reaching level 75 in a job, you unlock a special title pertaining to that job (these ideas are mutually exclusive. both would not be implemented together). It would hold no influence on your actual rank privileges and would only serve as a cosmetic indicator of your domination of T̷́H̶͝͡E̴̡͜ ̨͟G̴̴͢͝R̛͜I͞N̨̛͝͠D̸̵. It would be a nice token of dedication to the server for those willing to put in the utmost effort into banal, repetitive tasks. The main issue here is that it would take dev time to make the interfacing and coding for selecting which title you want to use, which would eat up time that could be spent on bugfixing and event production. Then again, this is a general problem with these cosmetic suggestions, and I fully get that.
    3. Title Color Changes

This ties lightly in with the other two, but my idea is to make the dark red (§4) an iconic color for a rank, and to recolor all non-rank-25 "red" titles to light red instead (§c). Dark red could also be used for the MCMMO/Jobs titles, too, to signify their merit. Very minor and easy change, and can be independent from the other two cosmetic changes. It also has consistency with the current coloring of Admin also being dark red. Parallels, yay!
    4. Experience on Death perk moved down to a lower rank & general mid-high tier rank re-ordering.

It's very peculiar for such a relatively minor mechanic to be slotted at rank 18 of 25. I personally would combine the experience on death and /back on death perks to rank 12, and move silking spawners to rank 18. Rank 19 could be a second non-donor vault, which would be nice because the jump from rank 18 to 19 is a pretty massive obstacle and it'd be nice for a strong reward to be in that spot. One could argue it devalues donor ranks, but honestly, the less p2w the better, so I really don't care much about losing one fourth of a single donor perk.
    No closing statement for this section. Boo hoo.

Alright. Anything else to say?

Lightning round? Ok.
    • The /chat toggle interface is broken again, pls fix.
    • Increase squid spawnrates. Or just, add ink sacs somewhere. Seriously, what the hell is up with this, I'm an edgy bitch who loves black. Indulge me.
    • Acrobatics is really inconsistent with granting exp. Not sure if this is fixable, might be tied to the 5-second internal teleport block on exp.
    • Farmer's 75 perk just feels.. lame. I couldn't think up a replacement, though, so I didn't make a whole section about it.
    • Ban uwu's from chat
    • Nerf Riven
    • Construct additional pylons
    • Remove Herobrine
    That's all I really have for design improvements. Like I outlined, these suggestions have issues, often attributed to opportunity cost, as well as some impacts on the server's economy as a whole. That being said, I think they are still improvements to the server's quality and balance and nonetheless think I've concocted ideas worth pursuing.

Thanks for reading my prattling bullshit design suggestions. I tried to make it fun.

#1 Deya, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    FuzzyWeasel likes this.
  2. _TheOrangeJuice_

_TheOrangeJuice_ Well-Known Member
    Emperor

You brought up including logs and planks in builder payouts.
    Well, to start off, planks are already in builder payouts. Logs, however, are not in builder payouts. Why is this so? The combination of this made it such that players used to pay builders to build towers of logs before chopping them down, essentially making builder/lumberjack overpowered. Hence, the payout for logs from builders was removed.

Also, I'm not quite sure why you feel the level 75 perk is subpar. Could you elaborate?

3. Deya

Deya New Member
    Champion

Deya_
    Linked
    1) Apparently only demonic has this problem. I haven't played classic or greek in literal months so wasn't even aware this was a demonic-only issue. Guess it needs fixing.

2) Then just add a check for blocks being placed by the player and only allow grown or naturally spawned wood to give payout. MCMMO woodcutting already works like this, it wouldn't be hard to re-implement.

3) It's not subpar. It's just lame compared to other 75's. Immunity to fall damage! Lava and fire immunity! Full hunger foods! Craftable scrolls! Castian dust! Permanent health buff! And then... yeah you just get more crops. It's not that it isn't good, it just lacks the oomph all the other 75's pack.

4. _TheOrangeJuice_

_TheOrangeJuice_ Well-Known Member
    Emperor

1) Which part implies that it is a demonic-only issue? This payout was removed even before demonic existed.

2) I don't see a reason in doing that. If you noticed, for builder, glass gives the highest payout. The rest of the blocks have equal payout. Planks would be better to place down. If we are going to let logs have the same payout as glass, it'll just disrupt the builder economy since logs are so much easier to get as compared to glass.
    3) Ehh, I don't feel that way. In fact, farmer perks are one of the few perks that tie in with the jobs itself. It makes grinding much easier.

5. Deya

Deya New Member
    Champion

Deya_
    Linked
    as for "demonic only issue" i was referring to the "planks payout" part. builder payout has pretty much every relevant block imaginable on greek and classic, but demonic is stuck with what I assume is the jobs spigot default. demonic and being mechanically broken, name a more iconic duo.

also literally in my post i referred to the fact that logs would specifically not dethrone glass in order to keep the digger/builder link relevant. logs would be a mid tier between the two, not the new best. i specifically stated that this should be avoided, lol.

and is glass really that hard to get? sure you have to smelt it but blaze rods grow on trees and desert ravaging is easy as pie. i guess relatively speaking logs are much easier but again, that's why i said mid tier and not equal to glass.

6. Khrolar

Khrolar Member

DaemonTristitiae
    Linked
    I must say that I really like the rank name variation idea, and it would also be nice if it was possible to pick between lord or lady in the towny plugin. But I know nothing about plugins so this might sound like a really stupid/impossible idea.

7. hetebro

hetebro New Member

This is very much an issue on Atlantis right now too. You get paid only for Acacia planks which is ridiculous. And the rest of the blocks that I can get paid for right now also seem really random. Builder block payouts are very much not conducive to building right now so I'd love to see this fixed and how it can help in relationship to lumberjack.

8. DeluxeMark

DeluxeMark Active Member
    Emperor

SlifeeR
    Linked
    Totally agree with:
    • Ban uwu's from chat.

But yeah,lumberjack is the most useless jobs in terms of resource usefulness. Besides building,logs theres not an other use. Maybe make those a cheap way to level builder,giving a decent XP,otherwise it would break digger/sand/glass.

About titles,80% if not more serves have custom tags/titles options,that would motivate people o grind or go for those,giving us more things to do besides build your town/house/grind jobs/mcmmo.